UC Crop
Some tenants receive UC to help them pay their rent

Help with Paying Your Rent

You may be eligible for government help to pay your rent through:

  • Housing Benefit - Most tenants in sheltered housing getting help to pay their rent receive Housing Benefit (HB).
  • Universal Credit - UC is a payment for people over 18 but under State Pension age who are on a low income or out of work. It includes support for the cost of housing, children and childcare, and financial support for people with disabilities, carers and people too ill to work.
  • Lone Pensioner Allowance - Ratepayers aged 70 or over who live alone may be entitled to a 20% discount on their rates.

You should not delay your application for Housing Benefit as it may not be backdated when approved. If you are entitled to receive Housing Benefit and rent one of our sheltered homes, you will automatically qualify to receive funding from Supporting People for your Support Charge, which is payable directly to Alpha.

To learn more about assistance with paying your rent, speak to one of Alpha's Housing Officers. If we cannot help you, we may be able to direct you to agencies that can assist such as Advice NI and Housing Rights.